Treat the Process of Home Buying and Selling as a Season in Life
Every season in life has a start and an end. When seasons pass, it’s easy to look back and identify the key moments. In this business of real estate, we understand those seasons because we help clients walk through them every day. Our clients, on the other hand, don’t do this every day, so these seasons are few and far between.
The process of buying or selling a home should be treated like a season in life.
In that season, there are certain expectations that will need to be met in order to navigate it smoothly. When you decide to buy or sell a home, you need to adjust your schedule, your life, your expectations. You’ll need to put things on hold, and do things you’ve never done before. You’ll need to learn to set boundaries for others, and for yourself. You’ll be entrusting your future to a team of professionals who are here to make sure it all works out.
When it comes to Buying a Home:
- Get your finances in order. Having all of your financial information in one location easily accessible will make responding to requests much easier.
- Stop your discretionary spending. Stick to purchasing only what you need to maintain your current life-style. Don’t make any additional purchases that may affect your debt to income ratio, or your net worth.
- Adjust your social schedule and be extremely flexible. When everyone else is eating out and going to happy hour, those who find their dream homes are diligently waiting for the next property to come on the market. Make yourself available at the drop of a hat to view new listings. Waiting for the weekend in today’s market may mean missing out on the house you saw online during the week. Shift to “House Buying Mode.” Let your friends and family know that the reason you have to say “no” to that weekly activity is because you’re looking for a new place to call home. Remember, this is only a season. Once you close on your new home, you can get back to life as usual.
- Trust your Advisors. The advice that we give you while looking for a home comes from years of experience watching people do the opposite and not win. You want to be a winner and we want to help coach you through the game.
When it comes to Selling a Home:
Much of the same applies to selling a home as does buying a home. First, review the section above. That all applies to selling as well.
- Detail Your Home: When you sell a car, you clean it up. Your home will be seen in its best light when you treat it like it’s a retail store, or restaurant kitchen. It should be clean, remain clean, and be presentable at all times.
- Price It Right the First Time: Every home owner becomes emotionally attached to their home and thinks that every buyer will want the house to be exactly as you keep it. After all, your way is the right way, right? Often that means placing a higher value on the home than the market can actually bear. Remember, you’re selling your house. That means your house is going to be someone else’s house soon. A complete stranger. Let go now and let us advise you on the condition of the market. Then, trust us when we tell you your asking price might be too high.
- Don’t make it hard for people to see it: If you’re ready to offer your home for sale, get ready to move. Eliminate everything personal. Box up everything you haven’t used in the past 2 months and store it somewhere else. Open up the home to showings as often as possible. Never say no to a showing request.
Preparation is everything whether you’re selling or buying.